We’re happy to announce that we will be kicking off this year’s Handicap competitions beginning 6th July running for three weeks with finals planned for the weekend of 23rd/24th July.
Given we have quite a few new members joining in the last month we’re going to run things a little differently this year. This year doubles partners will be selected through an open draw. It’ll be a great way to get to know folks across the club and it will also ensure that the tournament is open and competitive.
Matches can be either:
- 1 set
- best of 3 sets
Note: No tiebreakers- instead it will be best of three games and please make every effort to get your games played, walkovers should really be a last resort.
Both teams need to agree to option a. before commencing the match, in the absence of agreement option b. is the default. Entry is €10 for either one or two tournaments from Ladies Singles, Ladies Doubles, Gents Singles, Gents Doubles, Mixed Doubles.
Games may be played on grass or the hard courts. We will amend the booking schedule for the duration of the tournament such that bookings are in 30 minute slots. You will be allowed to book:
– 3 consecutive slots for a handicap match, please put “(H)” on the booking. If you plan on playing one set 2 consecutive slots should suffice.
– 2 consecutive slots from 5pm to 10pm weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday on the hardcourts if you are not playing a handicap match
– 4 consecutive slots on weekdays up to 5pm whether handicap or not.
Olive and Marc have been doing great work in seeking to categorise new members by ability and we will use this information to assist in determining the handicaps. The handicap structure will be displayed on the noticeboard outside the courts and is currently also on the clubhouse noticeboard.
For those who haven’t played in it before it’s a really enjoyable competition which is open to all levels and abilities as the handicapping system seeks to level the playing field. You’ll see in the form there’s an entry fee of €10 which will go towards prizes and balls for finals day.
Please get your entry in by Friday 3rd July as we’ll be preparing the draw on Saturday 4th July with the plan to get games kicked off from Monday 6th July.
Options for entry form submissions:
- Reply by mail/ online at myclubhouse site (https://my.stratfordtennis.ie/Forms/Entry/Index?formID=16), with entry fee paid directly to Stratford AC- bank details
- Notify either of our vice captains Niamh O’Reilly or John O’Brien with your Entry preferences and pay electronically into the club account (above)
- Return Handicap competition entry forms 2020 updated to a Committee member, with entry fee.
We will host a social event to coincide with the finals.